Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Glorious Freelance Life

Okay, so maybe glorious is a bit of a stretch; but so far freelancing has treated me very well. As a writer, I have picked up ghostwriting work on Textbroker and continue to seek work elsewhere. My day revolves around one exciting project after another. Maybe it isn't exactly the glamorous life of a best-selling novelist; but for the first time I am finding an outlet for my life's passion. As editorial reviews trickle in, my confidence builds and I learn more and more about the craft of writing; and the pursuit of excellence in it.
I know I am an incurable goof; but some mornings when I open my laptop for the first time, steaming cup of coffee in hand, somewhere in the back of my mind I can hear Jim Croce crooning "I've Got a Name" and I see pines and winding roads. Something about this has to do with writing, though I haven't figured that part out just yet.
For what it's worth, I've decided to reacquaint myself with my dear old friend Freddie, who, like me, is too adept at bouncing all over the place, though I am happier about it than she is. (Just to catch you up, Freddie is the main character in my novel The Starter Life, which is still in its adolescent-not-quite-edited stage.) I had an epiphany the other day about my life; and I think dear old Freddie fits the same bill. I am like the air bubble in a level; I bounce around outside of the level marks, but sometimes I get dead solid centered. This is the place to be, where inspiration flows and the words just hum.
For now, my freelancing profile keeps building; and the novel collects less dust on the shelf. The good news is that I find myself consulting the AP writer's guide less and less. Semi-colons are, after all, not the enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment